Thursday, March 24, 2011

Crazy about mosaics

I'm crazy about mosaics. Have been for as long as I remember. Not a clean mosaic, either. I like them 'dirty' - using broken tiles, found objects, discarded junk. In my opinion, there is no limit to the materials that can make a mosaic - it's more about the coming together of 'broken pieces' to make something uniquely whole and beautiful again.

Jag är galen i mosaik. Har så länge jag minns. Inte en 'ren' mosaik heller. Jag gillar dem 'smutsiga' - med brutet kakel, funna objekt och kastat skräp. Engligt min åsikt finns det ingen gräns för de material som kan göra en mosaik - det handlar met om att med 'trasiga bitar' göra något helt unikt, hela och vackra igen.



Above: The button mirror is one of my favorite pieces! It took me hours sorting through buttons at a thrift store to find the most colorful and interesting pieces - but all in all this probably cost me only $5, even the mirror was second hand. Add a hot glue gun and you are ready to go! It's all about the layers.

Ovan: Knapp-spegeln är en av mina favoriter! Det tog mig timmar att sortera knappar på en secondhandbutik för att hitta de mest färgstarka och intressanta pjäser - men allt som allt kan detta förmodligen kostade mig bara 40kr. Även spegeln var second hand.


Above: One of  my more traditional-style mosaic pieces with broken tiles (quite therapeutic) and an old planter pot. There is a  new color theme from every angle.
Below:  I love this new take on mosaic from Diane at In My Own Style, which uses shopping bags. It even comes with a great tutorial so that you can make your own version. Thanks, Diane, for sharing your creative mind!

Ovan: En av mina mer traditionella mosaikhantverk
Nedan: Jag älskar den här nya synen på mosaik från Diane på In My Own Style som använder shoppingkassar. Den kommer dessutom med en bra beskrivning så att du kan göra din egen version. Tack, Diane, för att du delar med dig av din kreativitet!


Let me know if you would be interested in more mosaic tutorials. I also think it would be fun to see your own version of a mosaic. Think outside the box - and remember - mosaics aren't just for tiles! Just click on the InLinkz button below and upload your photo and link, and a big thanks in advance for adding a link to this post in your blog.

Låt mig veta om du skulle vara intresserad av mer mosaikbeskrivningar. Jag tycker också det vore kul om du skulle lägga upp din egen version av en mosaik. Tänk utanför boxen - och kom ihåg - mosaik är inte bara för kakel! Klicka på InLinkz knappen nedan och ladda upp din bild och länk och ett stort tack på förhand om du lägger till länken till detta inlägg i din blogg.

Until next time...
Tills nästa gång...
M

p.s.  If you enjoyed this post, I hope you'll become a follower of my blog and a fan on FB.

Timerhttp://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/


Photobucket
Also linked here at these fabulous link parties!









30 comments:

  1. Love that Button mosaic Beautiful!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Following you ! hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I was just thinking about a button mosaic earlier today but had never really seen one and wasn't sure how it might look. LOVE yours - the layering give it so much visual appeal! I like your other two pieces too, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a brilliant post! I love mosaics too. Your mirror is great.
    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea to use up a bunch of buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mirror is beautiful and I can see you put a ton of work and time into it...it definitely paid off! :-) Thanks for linking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for your feedback. Next time I will be sure to document and provide a tutorial so you can have a go at it. I have another large pile of buttons for more projects...any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No sewing necessary on those scarves.. you could so do them OOOXXXX Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your button mirror! I bet it took a long time, but so worth it.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl , yes there is a tutorial just click on the word below the picture it should take you there. Sort it took me so long to reply I was gone all day. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute idea..i am adding my mosaic..
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your mirror! thanks for sharing and linking up! will be featuring this today! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your work. I saw you at Saturday Spotlight by Craft Envy.

    My blog is having it's first linky party this weekend. I would love for you to add this post: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/2011/03/funky-fresh-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done. Love how you "buttoned up" the mirror. I once covered a picture frame with various all white buttons, turned out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative, I love buttons! Thank you for linking this up to my link party, hope you can come back for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your button mirror mosaic! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The button mirror is incredible. Creative and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mike I love the button mirror, well all your projects and I LOVE your idea of "dirty" mosaics! I may have to use that one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that button frame. Looks like it would take forever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The mirror is so cute! But I really love the planter! it is gorgeous!
    thanks for linking up!
    "catching" you this week!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love, love, love the button mirror.

    Becky
    http://bucketofbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. The button mosaic is wonderful, and I really like the planter. I know that the planter is a more traditional mosaic, but I like having a different color scheme from different angles. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your mosaics, thank you for posting them.
    I need some advice, right now I'm working on a large scale Button Mosaic, but I'm having problems with the buttons staying. I have try different glues, but at some point they all seem to fail... any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Anonymous - I used a hot glue gun and added each button by hand. Some of them pop off now and then and you have to be careful with the piece, particularly because it isn't flat - the layered buttons mean that some areas stick out further than others and simple bumps can knock them off. I just hot glue those little puppies back on. Hope that helps - and can't wait to see your finished creation!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  25. I used to sew a lot of buttons on tee shirts, can use fabric glue for children or elderly instead of sewing them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your website and 4 Corners Design too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GrammyGeary - Thanks! I'm a big Fan of Amy at 4 Corners as well! Love her style. Glad you found your way here, and hope you visit often for recycled and repurposed inspiration.
      Michael

      Delete

I'm listening! And responding - so let's create some buzz together for recycled and repurposed arts and crafts.

Related Post for bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com