Saturday, October 1, 2011

Oversized Mirror Frame - Recycled Magazines

Whew! I made it! I actually pushed through to finish a project - one that I've been working on for weeks! Rolling... rolling... rolling... hundreds... and hundreds... of magazine pages. And now I have the pleasure of revealing my oversized mirror frame made from recycled magazines. Laurie, you were right with your guess from the sneak peek for this project!





There's so much inspiration I'd like to credit here:

It was Diane at Home Sweet Homemade that first got me interested in creating something with recycled magazines - did you see her beautiful pic with the glass vase full of magazine beads? I was hooked!

I first talked about this project on Facebook when my girlfriend (hi, Marie!) stopped by for an unexpected visit some weeks back...and started rolling with me while we caught up. She was even inspired to make her own recycled magazine frame, which I featured here on Blue Velvet Chair.

The frame idea was inspired by this recycled magazine frame from Crafy Mamma that I'd featured in the 25 Repurposed Magazine Projects post back in July.

Look closely behind the sofa in the photo and you'll see I've turned one of my bookshelves on its side, after getting inspiration from this photo on Instructables.  I'm also hoping to upcycle my boring set of 3 bookshelves - getting plenty of inspiration from the upcycle of these bookshelves from Karen at Sew Many Ways.

And finally, there's one more bit of inspiration I'd like to mention. Erin from Salvaged Grace recently attended a Blogshop conference, and she's been having so much fun playing with her new blog designs...that I wanted to try my (amateur) hand at some photo layouts on this post.

So, with all that credit going to everyone else, what am I most proud of? That I was able to draw on the creativity of others and create something for my home that is so true to 'me' - and I delight each time I pass by this space. In fact, I stop and stare a while - and it makes me happy.

Are you decorating in a way that makes your heart sing when you step inside your home?

Until next time...
Mike





Stumble this post


Also linking to these fun parties, including The DIY Showcase.

25 comments:

  1. its beautiful! great job! so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodnes!!!!
    zalyndia @ zpowe_wp@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael! Wow it's SO gorgeous! What a great idea! Thanks for linking up at Link Your Stuff again. It's allways great to see you there.
    Have a lovely day!
    Best wishes from Holland,
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, so proud of you for getting it up. At some point you will have to tell me how you managed it. Did you get that mirror from Vinden? Looks amazing. Great job. Can't wait to see the house.

    laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! Looking forward to the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic !! What an undertaking !! Can't wait for the tutorial !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute...and colorful! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks AMAZING!! I'm so glad you stuck to it and finished it! :) I can't wait to see it in person!!!
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cool idea! You are so good!
    Just voted for you!

    Verena

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! Great idea and beautiful result! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing! I see these types of items in HomeGoods all the time... and I know that someone could knock one off. I can't imagine how long that took. But it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastique! That is so cool!!!! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael, looks fantastic!!! I've been pleasantly surprised by how fun it is to create posts in Photoshop!! Glad to turn you on to it as well! And great job on the project, what an impressive undertaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This mirror is simply fantastic! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! Your hands must be cramped up from all the rolling! I featured you on my blog this week:
    http://www.imbusyprocrastinating.com/2011/10/get-me-motivated-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing! I can only imagine all the time it took to roll those magazines.

    Dollie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the SIZE of the mirror really makes it stand out from all the other upcycled magazine art out in blog land. How long do you think it took you to roll all the magazines?! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun it is to get feedback on something you love! Thank you, everyone!
    @greenbabydesigns - I know how long it took me to roll each roll, and I'm going to count how many rolls there are on the mirror sometime this week. Then I should be able to tell you how many hours were spent just rolling the magazine pages. I know it took probably 6 or so hours to assemble it at the end.
    @I'm Busy Procrastinating - THANK YOU for the feature. It's always nice for others to connect with a creation, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  19. mike-your mirror looks great!
    thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this blog! I just recently discovered it through a friend, and I'm obsessed. I super love this recycled mirror, but how did you do it? I didn't see any mention of how you rolled them and got them to stay, and then attached them. I'd love some input!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I plan to get a tutorial up next week (was supposed to have it up 2 weeks ago!). Check back and you'll soon be making your own creation!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous mirror frame! I love the idea of it - great upcycle! I'm off to check out all the inspiration you mentioned!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, I don't know if I just missed it, but have you posted a tutorial for this? I have a great frame I would like to this to! How did you roll the magazines? With tape? And how did you attach them to the frame, hot glue or something? That's all I really need to know to get started! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely idea! Mike, you are very inspiring!

    Aleksandra

    http://theproject6x6.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! And responding - so let's create some buzz together for recycled and repurposed arts and crafts.

Related Post for bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com