Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Forest Glam DIY

Last night I whipped up a bit of forest glam DIY.

I don't know about you, but sometimes the only time I have to finish up projects is late in the evening...which means all my photos are either quite dark, or washed out with flashes. I really must work on that! Of course the fact that it starts getting dark here now at 3.30 in the afternoon doesn't help! Long summer days mean short winter days in Sweden.

Back to the glam. As different bits of my 1970s home get renovated, I'm ready to start adding my own touch of funkiness here and there. Our kitchen has been done for a while, but I got a sudden burst of DIY inspiration to splash a bit of personality on our run-of-the-mill spotlight lamp from IKEA.




So I grabbed a few curly-cue branches that I had sitting around and set them up on my run-of-the-mill spotlight lamp from IKEA.




OK...I'm starting to feel the forest glam love...but it's still missing something. Of course! Antique crystal bits!



I got these at a thrift-style market in Copenhagen, Denmark, when we 'went abroad' (all of a 3-hour drive from where we live) to visit Tivoli at Halloween. They are old crystal bits from chandeliers...when they had candles instead of lights. The round cup area catches dripping wax...and the little wire rings usually held little crystal drops - like the one in the photo. I originally bought them thinking I would use them in a mosaic wall hanging that is starting to form in my mind, because those little cups look like flowers when you hold them upwards. But alas, they find a new home now as the showstoppers in a forest glam lamp dressing.







I have some round glass baubles that match Lulu (our dining room chandelier) that I'm thinking about adding as well. But honestly, by the time I got these up and some photos taken, I was just too tired to think about it more, let alone get out a tripod so that my night photos wouldn't be so blurry. Something for me to contemplate. To bauble, or not to bauble, that is the question.

For now I'll just be happy with my little touch of forest glam.

Until next time...
Mike


Stumble this post

Also linked up at:
Tip Junkie
DIY Showoff

15 comments:

  1. Not to bauble, this is gorgeous as is! Got me thinking what to do with our ugly 90s ceiling lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just the right touch of funkyness! love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking pretty glam...but I think it needs more baubles! fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Forest glam - I love it! Great job, Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! What a fabulous idea! I've been looking for a way to "shabbify" the light fixture in my kitchen, and you have totally inspired me!

    xoxo,
    mk & Gwynnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow - this is amazing!!!
    love. it.
    c. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO I love that, great idea and it looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally loving it....where didja get those curly branches???? Super cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that same light fixture in my office area & have always thought it needed that "something extra". THIS is what it needs! LOVE it! (BTW- my mom is from Skåne & I've been several times to visit family. SO excited to find your blog & get a touch of Sverige!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic idea! I love the mix of nature with elegance. Whimsical fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Fun! So unexpected. I love the natural touch.

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! And responding - so let's create some buzz together for recycled and repurposed arts and crafts.

Related Post for bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com