Sunday, May 6, 2012

Music Fills the Soul

It has absolutely nothing to do with recycled or repurposed design, but I've decided that this story how music fills the soul was the best thing that I could share with the world today. It resonates with me, and I hope you'll enjoy it, too.


 


 Now I'm already planning on how to get my favorite songs from the years compiled for my later years in life. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time, and this story just shows me how important that may become. Do you have a song that always lifts your mood?  I know, there are so many it's hard to choose.

One of my all-time favorites is an obscure little song from Sam Harris in 1986 - he covered Gershwin's Always. Now I'm really dating myself here, but if I remember correctly, Sam was the first ever winner of Star Search with Ed McMahon. Too bad I can't find a video clip of this song anywhere on YouTube (or elsewhere for that matter) - but I found this very short snippet of Sam Harris singing Always if you'd like to have a listen. Does anyone else out there remember Sam Harris? He's still kickin' on broadway and such these days. Back then he had a tux jacket, jeans and Converse.

 So, spend a moment today and start thinking what music you might gather to bring you back to life when you're older.

 Until next time...
Mike

16 comments:

  1. I saw this video on Facebook, and was sharing a few tears every time I watched it. I really believe that music can bring you back to life, if you know how to feel it. To me, Sade would definitely do the work when I get old :)

    Aleksandra

    http://theproject6x6.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will all need a Sade when we get older, don't you agree?

      Delete
  2. That's really awesome, heartwarming. Thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving. I can only imagine what the responses would be of so many other elderly people out there that seem closed off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it should become standard practice, don't you think?

      Delete
  5. I remember Sam Harris!! It was his rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that snagged me! I think that was the last song he sang to win! OMG, I thought I was the only one who remembered that guy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an amazing video. So touching, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This absolutely made my day. My Mom spent 2 yrs in a NH...wish I had thought of this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it's time for you to start one for yourself. This video is so inspirational that I really want to make a musical collection for myself in my later years. Heck...I'm sure it would do wonders for me now!

      Delete
  8. Thank you, thank you for sharing this...I will def. look into doing this for myself, and more importantly, for my parents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie - what a great gift that would make for parents. Wonderful idea.
      Mike

      Delete

I'm listening! And responding - so let's create some buzz together for recycled and repurposed arts and crafts.

Related Post for bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com